Going Home from Surgery with Active Personal Care
Going home to recovery from surgery helps you heal faster with fewer complications. For those who aren’t prepared to face this alone, using personal care for surgery recovery can assist in the healing process.
Did you know that more and more doctors are recommending a patient go home after having a knee or hip replaced? The days of having to spend a week or two in a rehab facility are fading.
This is because studies have shown that people heal faster at home then they would at a rehab facility. They are less likely to have infections, be hospitalized or develop other complications from their wound.
Going straight home may seem daunting. You might not feel prepared or comfortable with this. Using Active Personal Care for surgery recovery will help you feel more confident.
Typical Post-Surgery Recovery Timeline
To understand how we can help, it is important to understand your recovery timeline and what your surgeon may or may not recommend that you do. In general, you will have a follow up 2 weeks post-surgery to remove the stitches and make sure the wound is healing.
Physical activity will gradually increase, according to how you are feeling. Follow the therapy plan set forth by the outpatient therapy clinic and your surgeon. The key is to be diligent and not let the bad days keep you down. Some of the activities that may be affected during your recovery include driving, sleeping, exercise, day to day tasks and work. Most people can resume most activities within days to weeks post-surgery.
How Active Personal Care Can Help You Recover After Surgery
Active Personal Care is here to help you recover after orthopedic surgery. Whether you had a hip, knee, shoulder or some other joint replacement, Active’s caregivers can assist in your recovery. Some of the ways that we can help include:
- Dressing assistance
- Meal preparation
- Transportation to appointments
- Running errands
- Safety supervision
- Medication reminders
Active Personal Care’s Tips for Caregivers:
If you are caring for a loved one who is preparing for surgery, here are some caregiving tips to help the healing process.
- Prepare the home BEFORE surgery: This can include making meals in advance, removing clutter, and opening pathways for easier movement through the house.
- Have assistive devices ready: Devices like shower chairs and elevated toilet seats are easy to use, economical options to help make day to day activities easier.
- Encourage as much activity as possible: Be patient. Remember, the more active they are and diligent in following their rehab plan, the sooner they can resume all activities.
- Eat a balanced diet: A healthy diet and adequate hydration are key to healing and minimizing complications.
Why Choose Active Personal Care?
The benefits of going home after surgery are clear. You heal faster with fewer complications. Going home can be daunting if you aren’t prepared for it. Active Personal Care can help. Our personal care aides can provide the assistance you need to get back on your feet. Call Active Personal Care and set up your free, in-home consultation today!